Career as an Accessory Designer
Career as an Accessory Designer
A piece of clothing does not become a trend if it is not paired and styled with the right accessories. An accessory designer is responsible for conceptualizing and creating a range of products that compliments the costumes and images. The designers study trends, sketch designs and work in fashion products such as jewelry pieces, handbags, belts, scarves, hair accessories, footwear etc. Accessory designing is one of the highly-creative fields and most of the accessory designers manage their own accessory line.
The growing fascination of people towards the fashion industry has generated a huge number of job opportunities for the accessory designer. The job of an accessory designer demands immense artistic and creative skills. Also, an individual with a keen eye for details can make decent money after establishing a career as an accessory designer. From the entertainment industry to fashion houses and from production firms to ramp shows, the accessory designer has a major role to play.
Eligibility to become Accessory Designer
To be a successful accessory designer, it is important to meet the basic eligibility criteria specified below.
•Aspirant must possess a bachelor’s degree in any disciplines of fashion design
•Master’s degree is not a compulsion, however, it widens-up the career options
•Good knowledge of CAD and the latest design software
•Artistic Skills •Observational Skills •Communication Skills•Precision•Rationality•Originality•Creativity•Good Sketching/Drawing Skills
•No prior work experience is necessary. Though students with involvement in internships, part-time jobs or full-time jobs get a head start
Courses to become an Accessory Designer
The table provided below captures all the relevant courses and colleges for an accessory designer. To apply for admission in any of the mentioned institute,
• Pearl Academy, New Delhi • International School of Design, Baner, Pune • Garware Institute of Career Education and Development, University of Mumbai • Vogue Institute of Art and Design, Bangalore • Ellen School of Art and Design, Jaipur •Mody University, Sikar • Pearl Academy, Mumbai • Sawai Madhapur College of Engineering & Technology, Jaipur • Aditya College of Design Studies, Mumbai • Biyani Group of Colleges, Jaipur
Types of Job Roles Accessory Designer
With the globalization hitting the market and world turning into one small village, there are various accessory designer job profiles that one can choose from on the basis of their interest. Listed below are some of the popular job profiles for the accessory designer that you can opt for:
•Jewelry Designer: Jewelry designers work with different metals and stones to create new beautiful intricate pieces of wearable art.
•Footwear/Shoe Designer: Footwear designers are responsible for designing creative and practical designs of shoes and another footwear. The footwear designing is a world in itself as it ranges from high street fashion shoes to sports shoes, to kid shoes to catwalk shoes and others.
•Leather Accessory Designer: Leather accessory designers design and create various leather good and accessories such as belts, hats, etc.
•Men’s Accessories Designer: Men’s accessories designers are responsible for designing men’s headwear, neckwear, bracelets, scarves, and other small accessories.
•Fashion Designer: The duty of a fashion designer is to visualize and design aesthetically pleasing and functional clothing. They look for various styles, fabrics, prints, textures, colors and trims for a garment collection.
•Product Designer: With sound technical knowledge and design skills, a product designer aims at improving or enhancing the existing look and function of a product.
In case of any doubts about the desired job profile, you can write to us in the Q.and A zone. Other than this, you can also take the Career Profiling Test to check out the most suitable career option for you as per the Aptitude, Personality and Interest.
Top Employment Opportunities for Accessory Designer
Most of the accessory designer prefer working as a freelance but there is an ample number of employment opportunities for the accessory designer in many sectors. Some of them are listed below:
• Fashion Houses • Designer Stores • Freelancers • TV & Production Houses • Studios • Jewelry Houses
• High-End Fashion Labels
Top Recruiting Companies for Accessory Designer
Some of the leading companies where an accessory designer can find relevant job opportunities are mentioned underneath.
• Pantaloon • Frazer • Woodflake • ITC Wills Lifestyle • Gitanjali Jewelry Pvt. Ltd • Umbrico India Private Limited • D Damas • Hidesign • Magpie • Zara • Swarovski • Tanishq • Liberty Shoes • Tiffany • Titan
Planning to choose Accessory Designer as your career?
Books & Study Material to Become Accessory Designer
An accessory designer needs to focus on enhancing practical as well as theoretical knowledge in order to grow profoundly. Some of the best books and study material for the aspiring accessory designer are listed below:
• Accessory Design
• Drawing Fashion Accessories by Steven Thomas Miller
• Fashionary Bag Design: A Handbook for Accessories Designers by Fashionary
• Fashion Accessories: The Complete 20th Century Sourcebook by John Peacock
• Marker Rendering for Fashion, Accessories, and Home Fashions by Bina Abling
Pros of becoming an Accessory Designer
• Accessory designers who work with high-end brand and designers are offered great salary packages.
• They get an opportunity to travel the world and attend some of the famous renowned fashion events which provides them with excellent exposure opportunities.
• Accessory designers can have additional income by working as a freelancer or taking up independent projects or by starting their own accessory line.
• There are ample job options in the field of accessory line and one can even become a marketer after that.
Cons of becoming an Accessory Designer
• Accessory designers who freelance or work with big fashion houses do not have a set time and are required to work for long hours.
• They are required to travel a lot in case they are working with production houses which may lead to health problems and stress in the long run.
• The competitive job market in the field of the accessory designer may lead to limited job opportunities.
• This field demands a lot of creativity which may act as a hindrance in the path of an accessory designer.
Top Colleges to pursue career as Accessory Designer
• National Institute of Fashion Technology, Navi Mumbai
• National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
• Arena Animation, Bangalore
• National Institute of Design, Bangalore
• Footwear Design and Development Institute, Noida
• National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
• National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
• VIDM Institute of Design and Management, New Delhi
• YMCA Institute for Office Management, New Delhi